2008 Disney Cruise Line West Coast and Repositioning Itineraries - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Forums Closed
As of January 1, 2019, we have closed our forums. This is a decision we did not come to lightly, but it is necessary. The software our forums run on is just too out-of-date and it poses a significant security risk. The server software itself must be updated, and it cannot be without removing the forums.

So it is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to our long-running forums. They came online in 2000 and brought together so many wonderful Disney fans. We had friendships form, careers launch, couples marry, children born ... all because of this amazing community.

Thank you to each of you who were a part of this community. You made it possible.

And a very special thank you to our Guides (moderators), past and present, who kept our forums a happy place to be. You are the glue that held everything together, and we are forever grateful to you. Thank you aliceinwdw, Caldercup, MrsM, WillCAD, Fortissimo, GingerJ, HiddenMickey, CRCrazy, Eeyoresmom, disneyknut, disneydani, Cam22, chezp, WDWfan, Luvsun, KMB733, rescuesk, OhToodles!, Colexis Mom, lfredsbo, HiddenMickey, DrDolphin, DopeyGirl, duck addict, Disneybine, PixieMichele, Sandra Bostwick, Eeyore Tattoo, DyanKJ130, Suzy Q'Disney, LilMarcieMouse, AllisonG, Belle*, Chrissi, Brant, DawnDenise, Crystalloubear, Disneymom9092, FanOfMickey, Goofy4Goofy, GoofyMom, Home4us123, iamgrumpy, ilovedisney247, Jennifer2003, Jenny Pooh, KrisLuvsDisney, Ladyt, Laughaholic88, LauraBelle Hime, Lilianna, LizardCop, Loobyoxlip, lukeandbrooksmom, marisag, michnash, MickeyMAC, OffKilter_Lynn, PamelaK, Poor_Eeyore, ripkensnana, RobDVC, SHEANA1226, Shell of the South, snoozin, Statelady01, Tara O'Hara, tigger22, Tink and Co., Tinkerbelz, WDWJAMBA, wdwlovers, Wendyismyname, whoSEZ, WildforWD, and WvuGrrrl. You made the magic.

We want to personally thank Sara Varney, who coordinated our community for many years (among so many other things she did for us), and Cheryl Pendry, our Message Board Manager who helped train our Guides, and Ginger Jabour, who helped us with the PassPorter-specific forums and Live! Guides. Thank you for your time, energy, and enthusiasm​. You made it all happen.

There are other changes as well.

Why? Well, the world has changed. And change with it, we must. The lyrics to "We Go On" for IllumiNations say it best:

We go on to the joy and through the tears
We go on to discover new frontiers
Moving on with the current of the years.
We go on
Moving forward now as one
Moving on with a spirit born to run
Ever on with each rising sun.
To a new day, we go on.

It's time to move on and move forward.

PassPorter is a small business, and for many years it supported our family. But the world changed, print books took a backseat to the Internet, and for a long time now it has been unable to make ends meet. We've had to find new ways to support our family, which means new careers and less and less time available to devote to our first baby, PassPorter.

But eventually, we must move on and move forward. It is the right thing to do.

So we are retiring this newsletter, as we simply cannot keep up with it. Many thanks to Mouse Fan Travel who supported it all these years, to All Ears and MousePlanet who helped us with news, to our many article contributors, and -- most importantly -- to Sara Varney who edited our newsletter so wonderfully for years and years.

And we are no longer charging for the Live Guides. If you have a subscription, it's yours to keep for the lifetime of the Live Guides at no additional cost. The Live Guides will stay online, barring server issues and technical problems, for all of 2019.

That said, PassPorter is not going away. Most of the resources will remain online for as long as we can support them, and after that we will find ways to make whatever we can available. PassPorter means a great deal to us, and to many of you, and we will do our best to keep it alive in whatever way we can. Our server costs are high, and they'll need to come out of our pockets, so in the future you can expect some changes so we can bring those costs down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your amazing support over the years. Without you, there's no way us little guys could have made something like this happen and given the "big guys" a run for their money. PassPorter was consistently the #3 guidebook after the Unofficial and Official guides, which was really unheard of for such a small company to do. We ROCKED it thanks to you and your support and love!

If you miss us, you can still find some of us online. Sara started a new blog at DisneyParkPrincess.com -- I strongly urge you to visit and get on her mailing list. She IS the Disney park princess and knows Disney backward and forward. And I am blogging as well at JenniferMaker.com, which is a little craft blog I started a couple of years ago to make ends meet. You can see and hear me in my craft show at https://www.youtube.com/c/jennifermaker . Many PassPorter readers and fans are on Facebook, in groups they formed like the PassPorter Trip Reports and PassPorter Crafting Challenge (if you join, just let them know you read about it in the newsletter). And some of our most devoted community members started a forum of their own at Pixie Dust Lane and all are invited over.

So we encourage you to stay in touch with us and your fellow community members wherever works best for you!

Best wishes for a wonderful and magical new year!

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Planning Your Disney Cruise Voyage
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Dave Marx
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
2008 Disney Cruise Line West Coast and Repositioning Itineraries

Disney Cruise Line will be offering 12 seven-night Mexican Riviera itineraries in 2008, plus two 15-night Panama Canal Repositioning cruises (they've got to get to Los Angeles somehow). This is a near-repeat of the 2005 West Coast sailing season. The difference is in the details.

We had the pleasure of sailing on a Disney repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal in September 2005, which included stops along the Mexican Riviera. To read about our adventures and see photos and videos, check out our full trip report!

Jennifer and Dave's Panama Canal Crossing Report: http://www.passporter.com/dcl/panamacanalcruise.asp

In 2005, the 7-night cruises departed Los Angeles on Saturday, this time around, it'll be Sunday departures. Also, the sequence of ports/days at sea will be reversed. Nonetheless, the same Mexican ports will be involved: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. Here's the lineup:

Sunday. . . . . . . . . . . . Port of Los Angeles
Monday . . . . . . . . . . . At Sea
Tuesday . . . . . . . . . . . Cabo San Lucas
Wednesday . . . . . . . . . Mazatlán
Thursday . . . . . . . . . . Puerto Vallarta
Friday . . . . . . . . . . . . At Sea
Saturday . . . . . . . . . . At Sea
Sunday. . . . . . . . . . . . Port of Los Angeles

The seven-night cruises will depart on May 25; June 1; June 8; June 15; June 22; June 29; July 6; July 13; July 20; July 27; Aug. 3; and Aug. 10, 2008.

The repositioning cruises are not only a day longer than the 2005 itineraries, but they'll visit several different ports.

The westbound repositioning (May 10-24) will visit Castaway Cay, Aruba, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas. That leaves eight days at sea, and one day transiting the Panama Canal. The eastbound repositioning (August 17-September 1) will visit Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Cartagena, Aruba, and Castaway Cay, plus seven at-sea days, and one day transiting the Panama Canal. The day in Cartagena (Colombia) will be Disney Cruise Line's first visit to a South American port. Here's the lineup:

Departing May 10, 2008
Saturday. . . . Port Canaveral
Sunday. . . . . .Castaway Cay
Monday . . . . .At Sea
Tuesday . . . . At Sea
Wednesday. . Aruba
Thursday. . .. . At Sea
Friday. . . . . Panama Canal
Saturday. . .. .At Sea
Sunday . . .. .At Sea
Monday. . .. Acapulco
Tuesday . . At Sea
Wednesday .Puerto Vallarta
Thursday . .Cabo San Lucas
Friday . . . . .At Sea
Saturday . .At Sea
Sunday . . .. Port of Los Angeles

The eastbound repositioning departs August 17, 2008
Sunday . . . . .. . Port of Los Angeles
Monday . . . .. . At Sea
Tuesday. . . .. . .Cabo San Lucas
Wednesday . . .Puerto Vallarta
Thursday. . . .At Sea
Friday. . . . .. . Acapulco
Saturday. . ..At Sea
Sunday . . . .. .At Sea
Monday. . . . Panama Canal
Tuesday . . . Cartagena
Wednesday . . . At Sea
Thursday. . . .Aruba
Friday . . . .At Sea
Saturday . . .At Sea
Sunday. . . . Castaway Cay
Monday. . .. . Port Canaveral

As always, all these itineraries and ports will be detailed in the sixth edition of PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, due out in January, 2008.

If you'd like a preview of these cruises, check our trip reports, photos, and videos of our 2005 eastbound repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Port Canaveral.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Colexis Mom
RED SOX NATION!!

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 9

Post Thanks / Like
Re: 2008 Disney Cruise Line West Coast and Repositioning Itineraries

Thanks for all the info Dave [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/thanx.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
iamgrumpy
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like

ooohhh i can't wait to go now! thanks for the information Dave!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
YoHoTales40
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for information! I just got an email from Disney Destinations announcing these cruises, but they didn't have the dates and destinations info. like you! However, they did mention that the bookings will begin Jan. 31, 2007!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
modisney
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like

When DCL does this, am I correct in my understanding that for 2008 there will no be Caribbean cruises aboard the Magic, just the Bahama runs on the Wonder and these new ports for 2008 on the Magic?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Dave Marx
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Author

What's this?

Post Thanks / Like

[ QUOTE ]
When DCL does this, am I correct in my understanding that for 2008 there will no be Caribbean cruises aboard the Magic, just the Bahama runs on the Wonder and these new ports for 2008 on the Magic?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Magic will only be on the West Coast for the summer (May 10 through Sept. 1). The rest of the year it'll be in the Caribbean.

This is one of the reasons folks keep wishing for additional ships. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
VB_Family

Post Thanks / Like

OK... well we plan on booking the Western Cruise while on the ship in March... so the question is a week or the reposition from LA to FL..... With the cost difference only $100 it is worth it... what stories do those of you that did it in 2005 have to tell... should we go for it or not?? 15 days is a long time....

Old 01-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
Grammy Grumpy

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like

We are planning this as our first cruise and have 4 additional family members with us (2 will be tween/teen). I am very excited to participate in this unique experience!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
Dave Marx
PassPorter Guide Author

PassPorter Author

What's this?

Post Thanks / Like

[ QUOTE ]
should we go for it or not?? 15 days is a long time....

[/ QUOTE ]

You can read about our experiences in the Cruises section. I think it's definitely worth it. The Panama Canal transit is a wonder in itself, better than many days in ports of call as far as I'm concerned. All those days at sea... mmmm! You have an extra week to bond with your fellow cruisers and crew, which adds a whole extra dimension of community to the shipboard experience. And any time you can get away from it all for two weeks or more... that's a luxury far too few Americans get to enjoy.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
dahuffy

Post Thanks / Like
I have my TA booking the Eastbound Repo on bright and early on the 31st.
Stateroom #6058
Sept.1-14,2006
15 Day Eastbound Repossession Cruise 2008

Old 01-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
LiserAnn
Community Rank: Sightseer

Post Thanks / Like
Inside Stateroom thoughts

Hi Dave (and Jennifer)-I remember reading your wonderful trip reports at the time of the PC sailing and I so enjoyed reading them again. I do have a question for you regarding your stateroom. We may be able to squeak by in a category 9 stateroom for the westbound sailing, but it's possible all we could swing is an inside stateroom, maybe even only a cat 11 or 12. We've sailed DCL in a cat 9 and were very happy with the room and location. I know you and Jennifer had an inside stateroom for your PC sailing--reflecting back, I'm curious to honestly know if you two were OK with that stateroom choice or if you would not recommend it. We would be 2 adults and 2 boys who will be 6 and 9 at the time. We love Disney and there's part of me that says, what difference does it make, it would be fabulous just for the experience, but then there's another part of me that says....15 days is a long time if you're not happy with the room.

Whatever insight you can offer would be helpful.

Thanks,
Lisa

AKL - 6/04

Old 02-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #12
dahuffy

Post Thanks / Like
We made it!! We'll be on the EB Repo Aug.17,2008. We got a Cat. 6 GTY. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for the darn thing.

Also will be the first in line for the '08 Passporter to Disney Cruiseline.
Stateroom #6058
Sept.1-14,2006
15 Day Eastbound Repossession Cruise 2008

Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
VB_Family

Post Thanks / Like
Eastern Reposition SOLD OUT in 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for this one... slipped on by.. have to keep looking!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #14
mespino
Community Rank: Visitor

Post Thanks / Like
I'll be on the July 8, 2008 cruise with a 12-year old. Any one thinking about a horseback ride excursion or been on one before? Looking forward to our first cruise ever!

Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
Tracyvp
Community Rank: Sightseer

Post Thanks / Like
I'm so sad! It looks like the repositioning cruises both ways are SOLD OUT! Is there any chance that travel agents have purchased blocks and we can still reserve with one of them, or are we just out of luck?

Tracy
I can't believe we haven't even been on our first cruise and I'm already planning our next one!!!

My Previous TripsDCL Western Caribbean May 2007, Epcot May 2008, DCL Westbound Panama Canal cruise May 2008