New Feature: Living Avatars - Page 6 - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Forums Closed
As of January 1, 2019, we have closed our forums. This is a decision we did not come to lightly, but it is necessary. The software our forums run on is just too out-of-date and it poses a significant security risk. The server software itself must be updated, and it cannot be without removing the forums.

So it is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to our long-running forums. They came online in 2000 and brought together so many wonderful Disney fans. We had friendships form, careers launch, couples marry, children born ... all because of this amazing community.

Thank you to each of you who were a part of this community. You made it possible.

And a very special thank you to our Guides (moderators), past and present, who kept our forums a happy place to be. You are the glue that held everything together, and we are forever grateful to you. Thank you aliceinwdw, Caldercup, MrsM, WillCAD, Fortissimo, GingerJ, HiddenMickey, CRCrazy, Eeyoresmom, disneyknut, disneydani, Cam22, chezp, WDWfan, Luvsun, KMB733, rescuesk, OhToodles!, Colexis Mom, lfredsbo, HiddenMickey, DrDolphin, DopeyGirl, duck addict, Disneybine, PixieMichele, Sandra Bostwick, Eeyore Tattoo, DyanKJ130, Suzy Q'Disney, LilMarcieMouse, AllisonG, Belle*, Chrissi, Brant, DawnDenise, Crystalloubear, Disneymom9092, FanOfMickey, Goofy4Goofy, GoofyMom, Home4us123, iamgrumpy, ilovedisney247, Jennifer2003, Jenny Pooh, KrisLuvsDisney, Ladyt, Laughaholic88, LauraBelle Hime, Lilianna, LizardCop, Loobyoxlip, lukeandbrooksmom, marisag, michnash, MickeyMAC, OffKilter_Lynn, PamelaK, Poor_Eeyore, ripkensnana, RobDVC, SHEANA1226, Shell of the South, snoozin, Statelady01, Tara O'Hara, tigger22, Tink and Co., Tinkerbelz, WDWJAMBA, wdwlovers, Wendyismyname, whoSEZ, WildforWD, and WvuGrrrl. You made the magic.

We want to personally thank Sara Varney, who coordinated our community for many years (among so many other things she did for us), and Cheryl Pendry, our Message Board Manager who helped train our Guides, and Ginger Jabour, who helped us with the PassPorter-specific forums and Live! Guides. Thank you for your time, energy, and enthusiasm​. You made it all happen.

There are other changes as well.

Why? Well, the world has changed. And change with it, we must. The lyrics to "We Go On" for IllumiNations say it best:

We go on to the joy and through the tears
We go on to discover new frontiers
Moving on with the current of the years.
We go on
Moving forward now as one
Moving on with a spirit born to run
Ever on with each rising sun.
To a new day, we go on.

It's time to move on and move forward.

PassPorter is a small business, and for many years it supported our family. But the world changed, print books took a backseat to the Internet, and for a long time now it has been unable to make ends meet. We've had to find new ways to support our family, which means new careers and less and less time available to devote to our first baby, PassPorter.

But eventually, we must move on and move forward. It is the right thing to do.

So we are retiring this newsletter, as we simply cannot keep up with it. Many thanks to Mouse Fan Travel who supported it all these years, to All Ears and MousePlanet who helped us with news, to our many article contributors, and -- most importantly -- to Sara Varney who edited our newsletter so wonderfully for years and years.

And we are no longer charging for the Live Guides. If you have a subscription, it's yours to keep for the lifetime of the Live Guides at no additional cost. The Live Guides will stay online, barring server issues and technical problems, for all of 2019.

That said, PassPorter is not going away. Most of the resources will remain online for as long as we can support them, and after that we will find ways to make whatever we can available. PassPorter means a great deal to us, and to many of you, and we will do our best to keep it alive in whatever way we can. Our server costs are high, and they'll need to come out of our pockets, so in the future you can expect some changes so we can bring those costs down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your amazing support over the years. Without you, there's no way us little guys could have made something like this happen and given the "big guys" a run for their money. PassPorter was consistently the #3 guidebook after the Unofficial and Official guides, which was really unheard of for such a small company to do. We ROCKED it thanks to you and your support and love!

If you miss us, you can still find some of us online. Sara started a new blog at DisneyParkPrincess.com -- I strongly urge you to visit and get on her mailing list. She IS the Disney park princess and knows Disney backward and forward. And I am blogging as well at JenniferMaker.com, which is a little craft blog I started a couple of years ago to make ends meet. You can see and hear me in my craft show at https://www.youtube.com/c/jennifermaker . Many PassPorter readers and fans are on Facebook, in groups they formed like the PassPorter Trip Reports and PassPorter Crafting Challenge (if you join, just let them know you read about it in the newsletter). And some of our most devoted community members started a forum of their own at Pixie Dust Lane and all are invited over.

So we encourage you to stay in touch with us and your fellow community members wherever works best for you!

Best wishes for a wonderful and magical new year!

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > Welcome! > Using Your PassPorter: Tips and Answers
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #76
Susanne
Community Rank: Traveler

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all your hard work ... this is wonderful! Brings me to mind of paper dolls from ages ago!

My next trip to WDW: March 2017!

My Previous TripsPast Visits to Walt Disney World: [1972: Magic Kingdom, think we stayed at the Contemporary?] [1976: Magic Kingdom, to celebrate my birthday, stayed at Polynesian] [1981: Magic Kingdom, stayed at Golf Resort] [1984-1987: Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, too many day trips to count!] [Dec 1991: Magic Kingdom, day trip] [July 2002: Magic Kingdom, day trip] [May 2006: Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, MGM, stayed at Wilderness Lodge & fell in love with it!] [May 2007: MK, EPCOT, MGM, AK, Downtown Disney: stayed at WL][Jan 2008: surprised nephew for his 9th birthday, stayed at WL, loved it!][May 2008: stayed at WL, loved it!][May 2009: stayed at Kidani & loved it ... then stayed at Saratoga & hated it][Oct 2009: MNSSHP & F&WF, stayed at WL ... still lovin' it!][Dec 2009: MVMCP, stayed at CS, Kidani, BLT, & OKW][Nov 2010: Kidani][May 2011: WL, first trip with daughter, age 11 weeks][Oct 2011: Kidani][May 2012: BLT][May 2013: AoA, Kidani][Sep 2013: DCL Fantasy, WL][Feb 2014: Kidani][Oct 2014: BLT, DCL Wonder,][Oct 2015: Kidani][May 2016: BLT]

Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 PM   #77
Jennifer Marx
Club President
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 10

Post Thanks / Like
I completed Belle's outfit with a red rose and book of fairy tales. It was my mom's idea to add the book (she's here with us for the holiday weekend) and we're playing with our avatars.

Author of PassPorter guidebooks
Webmistress of PassPorter.com
PassPorter Blog | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram | Google +

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWalt Disney World (100+ visits from 1983-2018), Disneyland Resort (19 visits from 1996-2018), Disney Cruise Line (21 cruises from 1999-2018), Disneyland Paris (1 visit in 2005), Disneyland Tokyo (1 visit in 1992)

Old 09-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #78
Jennifer Marx
Club President
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Post Thanks / Like
One more for tonight ... a pirate costume!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWalt Disney World (100+ visits from 1983-2018), Disneyland Resort (19 visits from 1996-2018), Disney Cruise Line (21 cruises from 1999-2018), Disneyland Paris (1 visit in 2005), Disneyland Tokyo (1 visit in 1992)

Old 09-01-2007, 04:24 AM   #79
burtchmom

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Marx View Post
burtchmom, that purse in your avatar "costs" 200 points. That would do it!
Thanks - I didn't catch that - Funny how it mirrors real-life, isn't it?

My Previous TripsFirst trip to WDW in early 1980's; WDW honeymoon Oct. 1994; family grand gathering late 1990's; Boardwalk Villas Sept. 2005; Old Key West Sept. 2007; Saratoga Springs 2009 (last Interval exchange); BLT 2011 (first DVC welcome home); BLT 2013, 2015; GF 2017, 25th anniversary trip coming Oct. 2019!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:02 AM   #80
booandsully
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Post Thanks / Like
Love the new living avatars!
Beach Club September/October 2005
Dolphin December 2005
Swan New Years Eve 2005
Dolphin December 2007

Old 09-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #81
retiredkid

Post Thanks / Like
help with avatar

I love them......but I have ivory skin (intentionally purchased) and a pink head that was closest to my curly brown hair..... my head doesnt match my body LOL!! what id i do wrong? what can I do?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #82
Bec34
Community Rank: Sightseer

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
Talking

This is way cool!! Thanks Dave and Jennifer!

Becky
2004 Dec 14-21 Hilton Tuscan Village/AKL(Suprise)
2005 Sept Pop Century
2006 Oct 19-24 Poly (Our 1st MNSSHP)
2008 Oct 24-30 POR

Old 09-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #83
Jennifer Marx
Club President
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredkid View Post
I love them......but I have ivory skin (intentionally purchased) and a pink head that was closest to my curly brown hair..... my head doesnt match my body LOL!! what id i do wrong? what can I do?
Not all the heads match all the bodies, that's all. Most of the heads are only in two colors right now (fair and dark). I'll try to add more later.

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 09-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #84
mseeyoremi

Post Thanks / Like
I have tried to move crop box and it won't let me. It also seems to not want to let me downsize my doll to fit background better. Also the teal bathing suit must still have transparcy issues as I continue to get white box with it. Sorru If i'm being a pain today.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #85
DreaminDizney1002
Community Rank: Trekker

Post Thanks / Like
I still can't get rid of my crop box either! Even when I've removed all the images, the crop box will not go away no matter what I do. In other words, I have a blank canvas and the crop box is there...mine is stuck off to the right and it almost seems as if the one edge is slightly outside the right-hand side of the canvas. I tried re-sizing the crop box as you described in a previous post, Jennifer, but all I get is a small circle with a line through it when I place the mouse on the corner of the crop box (while holding down the shift key). I did notice that the previous poster (mseeyoremi) is also having trouble with the crop box and we both are using the castaway cay/cruise ship as part of the avatar....could the "stuck" crop box be related to this particular image? I couldn't resize my doll (following your instructions to a tee) either when on the cruise ship image. Hmmmmm?!? Is there anyway to reset my avatar (even if it means losing what I've "purchased")?

First trip to our Happy Place as a family of four!
My Previous TripsMany Magical Trips to WDW: 6/94 Port Orleans, 9/96 Port Orleans, 10/97 Off-Site/Nanny, 10/00 Honeymoon/DCL/PO, 5/02 AS Movies, 9/02 AS Music, 12/02 AS Music, 5/03 CBR/DCL/AKL, 12/03 AKL, 2/04 POP, 5/04 AKL/DCL/POL, 10/04 POP, 12/04 Poly, 5/05 POP, 5/07 POP, 2/08 POP, 4/09 AKL, 10/10 CBR/DCL/POP, 5/12 DCL/POP, 5/13 AOA, 5/14 AOA, 4/15 AKL, 10/15 DCL/CR, 02/17 DCL/AKL

Last edited by DreaminDizney1002; 09-01-2007 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: addition to previous post

Old 09-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #86
Luvsun
Wishing I was at WDW!

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 7

Post Thanks / Like
It has been so much fun playing with the new avatar stuff!
Thanks for all of your hard work Jennifer and Dave!

Luvsun ~ Passporter Guide for~Making More Magic, Going Behind the Scenes, Feasting and Snacking, and The Sunroom
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring fun at WDW!
Enjoying the Flower and Garden festival at WDW!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsChristmas 1971 first visit for our family, 1978 River Country and MK (honeymoon), March 1989 first WDW visit for my three sons, Jan. 1996 Poly, Jan. 2000 AS Sport and Disney Institute Bungalows ( now SSR), April 03 AKL, Aug. 04 Pop, April 05 AKL, Aug. 05 Pop and BC, April 06 WL, Sep. 06 POFQ, April 07 Poly, August 07 BWI, October 07 POR, Dec. 07 OKW. Feb. 08 CS, April 08 WLV, June 08 OKW and AKLV, Nov. 08 AKLV (solo trip!), Feb. 09 SSR, May 09 SSR (DoD tour - solo!), Oct. 09 BCV, Jan. 10 OKW for my birthday!, April 10 AKLV, Aug. 10 WLV, Dec, 10 WLV and ALKV., April 2011 POFQ, June 2011 AKLV Club level and Kidani Village, Nov 2011 OKW, June 2012 AKLV, Oct. 2012, CBR, April 2013, BWV, Oct. 2013 VWL, AKL Kidani Village May 2014, WL Aug. 2014, Art of Animation Oct. 2014, Dec. 2014 WLV, May 2015 OKW, July 2015 BLT, Oct. 2015 AKL Kidani, Sep. 2016 Polynesian Villas/Beach Club Villas, Dec. 2016 WLV, May 2017 BCV, Sep. 2017 All Star Movies, Nov. 2017 AKLV Jambo House, Feb. 2018 WLV, May 2018 WLV

Old 09-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #87
mseeyoremi

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminDizney1002 View Post
I still can't get rid of my crop box either! Even when I've removed all the images, the crop box will not go away no matter what I do. In other words, I have a blank canvas and the crop box is there...mine is stuck off to the right and it almost seems as if the one edge is slightly outside the right-hand side of the canvas. I tried re-sizing the crop box as you described in a previous post, Jennifer, but all I get is a small circle with a line through it when I place the mouse on the corner of the crop box (while holding down the shift key). I did notice that the previous poster (mseeyoremi) is also having trouble with the crop box and we both are using the castaway cay/cruise ship as part of the avatar....could the "stuck" crop box be related to this particular image? I couldn't resize my doll (following your instructions to a tee) either when on the cruise ship image. Hmmmmm?!? Is there anyway to reset my avatar (even if it means losing what I've "purchased")?
I'm glad it's not just me. I use Windows Vista as OS If that maybe part of issue. Jennifer had Pm'd me and is going to look into my acct for me.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #88
Jennifer Marx
Club President
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, there is an issue with the crop box in mseeyoremi's avatar, and it looks like the same problem in DreaminDizney1002's. (I should note that resizing was NOT a problem, however.) I checked into this issue at the software maker's site, and a couple of other board owners reported this problem along with a manual fix (that only I can do for you). The problem seems unrelated to the background image, so I think it is just a coincidence that you two were using the same image (but I'll keep this in mind anyway). It seems that if the crop box is pushed off the edge of the avatar inadvertently using the nudge tool (i.e., Right button), then it gets stuck and can't be moved or removed. I'm reporting the problem as a bug and hopefully we can fix it so it doesn't happen to others. But if it does happen, just contact me by PM and I'll manually fix it. I should note that I'm not supposed to be working this weekend, so I'm only on my laptop not my desktop computer, so I can't do the fix quite yet. But if I can sneak down later tonight, I'll fix it -- otherwise it'll be after the holiday weekend.

By the way, I was able to make mseeyoremi's avatar look okay in the meantime by resizing her background and other images to fit in her crop box. Just FYI.

My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 09-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #89
2tinks

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

This is a great feature - thanks!

I designed my living avatar along with DD. She got such a kick out of it!

Thanks for all of the great work you do!
My Countdown Counting down to: Christmas in WDW
Merry Christmas to us!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Contemporary Resort April 2005, WDW Port Orleans French Quarter May 2006, WDW (Off-Site) October 2007, WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2007, WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas August 2008, WDW Animal Kingdom Kidani Village December 2009, WdW Beach Club Villas August 2010, Bay Lake Tower 2012, Pop Century 2012, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Animal Kingdom Villas 2013

Old 09-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #90
mseeyoremi

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Marx View Post
Yes, there is an issue with the crop box in mseeyoremi's avatar, and it looks like the same problem in DreaminDizney1002's. (I should note that resizing was NOT a problem, however.) I checked into this issue at the software maker's site, and a couple of other board owners reported this problem along with a manual fix (that only I can do for you). The problem seems unrelated to the background image, so I think it is just a coincidence that you two were using the same image (but I'll keep this in mind anyway). It seems that if the crop box is pushed off the edge of the avatar inadvertently using the nudge tool (i.e., Right button), then it gets stuck and can't be moved or removed. I'm reporting the problem as a bug and hopefully we can fix it so it doesn't happen to others. But if it does happen, just contact me by PM and I'll manually fix it. I should note that I'm not supposed to be working this weekend, so I'm only on my laptop not my desktop computer, so I can't do the fix quite yet. But if I can sneak down later tonight, I'll fix it -- otherwise it'll be after the holiday weekend.

By the way, I was able to make mseeyoremi's avatar look okay in the meantime by resizing her background and other images to fit in her crop box. Just FYI.
Thanks so much Jennifer. I can wait until after holiday to have rest of fix.