Is That a Raincloud Over My Head? EMTPEJ's Land & Sea Adventure **Updated 10/28** - PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks

guidebooks   |   news   |   podcasts   |   boards   |   blog   |   worksheets   |   photos   |   articles   |   updates   |   register   |   follow us on

Forums Closed
As of January 1, 2019, we have closed our forums. This is a decision we did not come to lightly, but it is necessary. The software our forums run on is just too out-of-date and it poses a significant security risk. The server software itself must be updated, and it cannot be without removing the forums.

So it is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to our long-running forums. They came online in 2000 and brought together so many wonderful Disney fans. We had friendships form, careers launch, couples marry, children born ... all because of this amazing community.

Thank you to each of you who were a part of this community. You made it possible.

And a very special thank you to our Guides (moderators), past and present, who kept our forums a happy place to be. You are the glue that held everything together, and we are forever grateful to you. Thank you aliceinwdw, Caldercup, MrsM, WillCAD, Fortissimo, GingerJ, HiddenMickey, CRCrazy, Eeyoresmom, disneyknut, disneydani, Cam22, chezp, WDWfan, Luvsun, KMB733, rescuesk, OhToodles!, Colexis Mom, lfredsbo, HiddenMickey, DrDolphin, DopeyGirl, duck addict, Disneybine, PixieMichele, Sandra Bostwick, Eeyore Tattoo, DyanKJ130, Suzy Q'Disney, LilMarcieMouse, AllisonG, Belle*, Chrissi, Brant, DawnDenise, Crystalloubear, Disneymom9092, FanOfMickey, Goofy4Goofy, GoofyMom, Home4us123, iamgrumpy, ilovedisney247, Jennifer2003, Jenny Pooh, KrisLuvsDisney, Ladyt, Laughaholic88, LauraBelle Hime, Lilianna, LizardCop, Loobyoxlip, lukeandbrooksmom, marisag, michnash, MickeyMAC, OffKilter_Lynn, PamelaK, Poor_Eeyore, ripkensnana, RobDVC, SHEANA1226, Shell of the South, snoozin, Statelady01, Tara O'Hara, tigger22, Tink and Co., Tinkerbelz, WDWJAMBA, wdwlovers, Wendyismyname, whoSEZ, WildforWD, and WvuGrrrl. You made the magic.

We want to personally thank Sara Varney, who coordinated our community for many years (among so many other things she did for us), and Cheryl Pendry, our Message Board Manager who helped train our Guides, and Ginger Jabour, who helped us with the PassPorter-specific forums and Live! Guides. Thank you for your time, energy, and enthusiasm​. You made it all happen.

There are other changes as well.

Why? Well, the world has changed. And change with it, we must. The lyrics to "We Go On" for IllumiNations say it best:

We go on to the joy and through the tears
We go on to discover new frontiers
Moving on with the current of the years.
We go on
Moving forward now as one
Moving on with a spirit born to run
Ever on with each rising sun.
To a new day, we go on.

It's time to move on and move forward.

PassPorter is a small business, and for many years it supported our family. But the world changed, print books took a backseat to the Internet, and for a long time now it has been unable to make ends meet. We've had to find new ways to support our family, which means new careers and less and less time available to devote to our first baby, PassPorter.

But eventually, we must move on and move forward. It is the right thing to do.

So we are retiring this newsletter, as we simply cannot keep up with it. Many thanks to Mouse Fan Travel who supported it all these years, to All Ears and MousePlanet who helped us with news, to our many article contributors, and -- most importantly -- to Sara Varney who edited our newsletter so wonderfully for years and years.

And we are no longer charging for the Live Guides. If you have a subscription, it's yours to keep for the lifetime of the Live Guides at no additional cost. The Live Guides will stay online, barring server issues and technical problems, for all of 2019.

That said, PassPorter is not going away. Most of the resources will remain online for as long as we can support them, and after that we will find ways to make whatever we can available. PassPorter means a great deal to us, and to many of you, and we will do our best to keep it alive in whatever way we can. Our server costs are high, and they'll need to come out of our pockets, so in the future you can expect some changes so we can bring those costs down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your amazing support over the years. Without you, there's no way us little guys could have made something like this happen and given the "big guys" a run for their money. PassPorter was consistently the #3 guidebook after the Unofficial and Official guides, which was really unheard of for such a small company to do. We ROCKED it thanks to you and your support and love!

If you miss us, you can still find some of us online. Sara started a new blog at DisneyParkPrincess.com -- I strongly urge you to visit and get on her mailing list. She IS the Disney park princess and knows Disney backward and forward. And I am blogging as well at JenniferMaker.com, which is a little craft blog I started a couple of years ago to make ends meet. You can see and hear me in my craft show at https://www.youtube.com/c/jennifermaker . Many PassPorter readers and fans are on Facebook, in groups they formed like the PassPorter Trip Reports and PassPorter Crafting Challenge (if you join, just let them know you read about it in the newsletter). And some of our most devoted community members started a forum of their own at Pixie Dust Lane and all are invited over.

So we encourage you to stay in touch with us and your fellow community members wherever works best for you!

Best wishes for a wonderful and magical new year!

Go Back   PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
emtpej
Community Rank: Explorer

Post Thanks / Like
Is That a Raincloud Over My Head? EMTPEJ's Land & Sea Adventure **Updated 10/28**

Dates- July 11th to 21st.
Land – Polynesian 4 nights, Sea – Wonder - 3 nights.
The Cast / Crew: Me (Erik / EJ), Kendra, Tim, David, and my BIL, Kenny.

The story:
My DW had promised my BIL that we would take him to WDW and on a cruise, someday. Their parents are farmers and they never traveled very far (some would say they have been deprived, but I wouldn’t – I love my in-laws!). We were able to arrange the financial details last year and we wanted to take the boys at just the right time so that Tim would not be ‘too cool’ to be with the family and David would not be too young to keep up with the pace of everyone else. So, Kendra booked us for the land and sea package to do it all in one fell swoop. Being the (reportedly anal-retentive) analyst that I am, I wanted to make SURE that we got the most value / fun from our trip (at least more than last time) and thereby found PassPorter via allearsnet.
So, I got the PPs for WDW and DCL and joined up and got SO much useful information and tips that I can’t thank the community and the Marxes enough!
The hard part for me was to have fun with the family without pushing them too hard to do everything. We were also not sure if anyone would become seasick while on the cruise, so booking a short one made sense. I know now that the land/sea package is not the best deal, but I think most of you can understand that once your spouse makes a decision like this one, you kind of go with the flow. Because we needed space for the five of us in one room, we had to book a Category 4 room on the Wonder, which meant we had to book a room for five at a Deluxe resort. I know, it's really difficult to go first-class! My DW chose the Poly, which suited me just fine as it meant we could take the Monorails to the MK and Epcot!

The Roadshow:
We planned to drive our van with the five of us and our stuff to WDW, then to Port Canaveral, and then to Sanford to take the AutoTrain back to Lorton, VA and then home. On the way south, we planned stops in Emporia, VA, and Jacksonville, so we planned on arriving at the Poly in the early afternoon. DW does not like to fly, so especially since there was five of us, we decided to drive. Oh, well.

Wednesday, 7/9/08. Shipped off the Wii (that had been zapped by lightning -- see my PTR) so that it might be fixed and returned before we get home. We purchased some new clothes and stuff. I got some postcard stamps for my FGM requests. We checked all our Passporter checklists, again.

Thursday, 7/10/08. Packed our stuff and otherwise got things prepped at home for a long absence. Printed out some last-minute stuff, washed clothes. The house and pets will cared for by my MIL (). Took the van to our mechanic, who pronounced it fit and ready to take us on our trip. It had been making a strange noise under the hood while shifting, but that was just the fan clutch. They had to replace a shock absorber and wheel rim that was cracked and losing air in that tire. Imagine what would happen if it failed while on the road? Yikes! And this was AFTER having a lot of work done on it the week before ($$), but ya gotta make sure...

Friday 7/11/08: A Good Start?
I set up the DVD player in the van, which helps to keep everyone happy and packed up everything (except for my Disney World golf hat) and left home at 1100 and got my BIL and his luggage. We had no problems with traffic around Richmond, or anywhere, and we got to see that neat bridge with the suspension in the center, the I-295 Varina-Enon Bridge:

You can't tell very well from the photo, but that's a six-lane interstate with shoulders that is high enough to get some pretty big ships under it. This was the second bridge built in th US with this design. It is similar to the Millau Viaduct in France, but not as long, of course.
We traveled a few hours to Emporia, VA and checked into the Quality Inn. The pool was warm and not overpowering with chemicals and was unused except by us. We enjoyed dinner and shopping (the boys wanted checker games) at the nearby Cracker Barrel. Tim and Kenny had the bacon cheeseburger, David had the kids grilled cheese, KJ had the grilled chicken (with hash browns casserole) and I had the country chef salad. Reliable stuff that we enjoy when we travel as we do not have one near us. The roll-away was comfortable and the room temperature was comfortable. Did not notice any loud noises or even the railroad which was very close by. The kids played checkers before bed. The only stores nearby seem to be combination fuel / beer / wine, and snacks shops. The stores I went to did not have caffeine-free soda (I guess they don't expect anyone to sleep around there), which we let the boys have before bed. But Kendra MUST have her Diet Pepsi in the morning, just like I must have coffee. The restaurants there in Emporia still have smoking sections, which is what you might expect in a state that was built on tobacco, but that is very different from DC and most of Maryland, not that we smoke.

So, everything started out great! No meltdowns, not overtired, we got to go to Cracker Barrel, so life was good! I didn't even want a beer (yet)!!

Up Next: Do You Want Me To Tell You About Murphy’s Law, Or Would You Like A Demonstration?
-- This is well observed, here at PassPorter!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979 (offsite), WDW July, 2005 (POR), July 2008 -- Poly and the Wonder

Old 07-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Hugmonster
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Post Thanks / Like
More Please... We have a saying about Murphy....
My Previous TripsWDW July 1974, Childhood trip date Unknown, May 1994, July 1996, September 2003, Sept/October 2006, January 2007, December 2008, Sept/October 2008,April 2010, Sept 2013, March 2014, September 2014, September 2015, March 2016, August 2016

Old 07-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
DyanKJ130
Go Red Sox!! :D
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like you're off to a great start, EJ!! That bridge reminds me of Bunker Hill Bridge in Boston. Can't wait to hear more

My Countdown Counting down to: Bagman Days
Remembering Bill Myers: A great man; a true friend
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPop December 2018, Contemporary September 2018, CSR/ASSports December 2017, OKW July 2017, Swan December 2016/January 2017, Pop September 2016, AKL July 2016, CSR December 2015, CSR BL July 2015, CSR/AKL February 2015, Swan December 2014, POR July 2014, WL CL September 2013, CSR BL July 2013, SSR December 2012, ASMo September/October 2012, CSR August 2011, SSR February 2010, CSR December 2008/January 2009, DLR (Dolphin's Cove Resort) February 2008, CBR September 2007, CSR August 2006, POR December 2005, WL June/July 2004, POR August 2002, Dixie Landings August 2000, Off-site February 1999, DLR March 1988, DLR March 1986, Golf Resort (now SOG) October 1979

Old 07-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
emtpej

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmonster View Post
More Please... We have a saying about Murphy....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyanKJ130 View Post
Sounds like you're off to a great start, EJ!! That bridge reminds me of Bunker Hill Bridge in Boston. Can't wait to hear more
Thank you!

Yes, Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is of similar design!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979 (offsite), WDW July, 2005 (POR), July 2008 -- Poly and the Wonder

Old 07-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
B.M.

Post Thanks / Like
I've been waiting for you to start this TR! Great start! Cant wait to hear more!
My Previous TripsWDW/Pop Century June 2008-- WDW/AS Movies Thanksgiving 2009-- WDW/Pop Century March 2010-- DCL/Wonder to Alaska May 2011-- WDW/Vaca Home off property Christmas 2012-- WDW/AS Music Christmas 2014

Old 07-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
wdwlovers

Post Thanks / Like
WOOHOO! Can't wait to read more!

Counting down to....
May 2017 - Poly (Grandma's 1st Trip to WDW)
Sept 2017 - DH's bday celebration
Aug 2018 - DCL Family cruise on the Dream
My Countdown Counting down to: Adults Only Winter Getaway
Wheeeee!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJune 1992-offsite, Sept 1998-Honeymoon at WL, Dec 2000 CBR, April 2001-offsite, Aug 2002-AS Sports, May 2004 Mother/Daughter trip w/ my mom AKL&CBR, Jan 2005-Graduation trip AKL&CBR, May 2008-POR, Aug 2008-AS Movies, Jan 2011-AS Sports, June 2012-SSR Treehouse Villa, Dec 2012-SSR Treehouse Villa, May 2013-SSR/AKV, Feb 2014-OKW, July 2014-POFQ, Feb 2015-BCV, Feb 2016-Poly & Disney Magic DCL, Sept 2016-Poly, Oct 2016-Poly

Old 07-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
oldmom

Concierge Level: 3

Post Thanks / Like
Great start, can't wait to hear the rest.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
CinderAbby

Post Thanks / Like
That was my first thought when I saw the picture - Oh look. It looks just like the Zakim bridge. Thanks for posting the picture. I won't be seeing the actual bridge as we're not taking that route to the Auto Train. We're going through Pennsylvania via 81 (we don't like travelling 95).

More pictures and TR though please.
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Old 07-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Colexis Mom
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 9

Post Thanks / Like
Great start EJ More please
My Previous TripsAUG '16 - POFQ, APR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn

Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
Nimros
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
Glad you TR is started. Even though I know what happens next I'm still anxiously awaiting the next installment....!

Hurts So Good TR 9/2009
"This Is Not the Trip You're Looking For" TR May/Jun 2011
My Countdown Counting down to: Star Wars Weekend Solo Trip!
My Previous TripsWDW May/June 2011 POR, WDW Sep 2009 POR, WDW Sep 2007 POR

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
bitterchickey

Post Thanks / Like
Good start! Hanging on.......

Old 07-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
ArielsMomto2
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Post Thanks / Like
Great start EJ. Sounds like an uneventful first traveling day. I have actually eaten at that Cracker Barrel in Emporia!!! Great place as long as you don't speed. Hurry back. Can't wait to hear more.

Pam
My Countdown Counting down to: Cati's Sweet 16 Celebration
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsBW: AUG 15, AKL: AUG 14, OKW: AUG 13, WLV: AUG 12, OKW: AUG 11, AKL: AUG 10, AKL: AUG 09, SSR/BC :AUG 08, OKW: AUG 07, POR :JUN 07, ASMo: JUL 06,DL Summer 1990,WDW Summer 1980, WDW Summer 1972

Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
emtpej

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAbby View Post
That was my first thought when I saw the picture - Oh look. It looks just like the Zakim bridge. Thanks for posting the picture. I won't be seeing the actual bridge as we're not taking that route to the Auto Train. We're going through Pennsylvania via 81 (we don't like travelling 95).

More pictures and TR though please.
Thank you, Darlene!

Yes, this bridge is south of Richmond and over the James River, so you probably can't see it from the Amtrak line. We will probably see more of this type in the US -- might have saved some lives in Minneapolis --it has been almost a year since that one and congress may pass a law soon for a 5 cent a gallon tax for bridge replacement (as if we needed more taxes).
My PassPorter Bookshelf

Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #14
chezp
PassPorter Message Board Manager
PassPorter Guide Author

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Great start - that bridge is a stunning piece of architecture. I'm not sure I like the sound of the next installment though...

Relaxing on board the Magic. The trip report for our back-to-back cruises on the Disney Magic has started!
My Countdown Counting down to: 2019
Happy New Year!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips21 trips to WDW, 6 to Disneyland in California, 9 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 13 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy

Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
Nick and Ryans Mom
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 6

Post Thanks / Like
Great start!! I can't wait to hear more! I was recently in North Carolina (another tobacco state) and was surprised when they asked if we wanted smoking or non-smoking in the restaurant. I'm so use to everything being non-smoking around home.

My Countdown Counting down to: Animal Kingdom Here we come!
Enjoying ourselves!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Februry 2013 Off Site, October 2012 POR, March 2012 Old Key West Grand Villa, June 2011 TreeHouse Villas, June 2010 1st trip as DVC members Kidani Village, Jan 2009 Off site, DL: Dec 2008 WDW: August 2008 Poly, March 2006 POR, May/June 2006 POR, 2005 WL, 2003 POR, 2000 Coronodo, 1998 POFQ, 1990 Contemporary/Disney Cruise